Like many of you, the COVID-19 Reopening Taskforce was looking forward to seeing each other in person in September. However, the Board, staff, and taskforce has decided to postpone the campus reopening until October. The COVID-19 Delta Variant is running rampant in Houston. Harris County is currently in Threat Level Red, indicating a severe threat of transmission of the virus in our area as hospitalizations continue to increase. We know that Delta is much more contagious than previous strains, with 1 person able to infect up to 8 people vs. 2 or 3 and that even fully vaccinated individuals can transmit the virus.

We are all tired of feeling isolated from one another. However, we could not in good conscience put our members, staff, and friends at risk. The taskforce is closely monitoring the situation and plans to meet every 2 to 3 weeks to respond to new information. In the meantime, Emerson staff is working to outfit our sanctuary with live streaming equipment and ensure safety precautions so when we are ready to reopen, we can do so quickly.

Thank you for working with us to keep each other safe. We will continue to update you with more information as it becomes available.

-Katie Scott

Reference: Tampa Bay Times 2021