Volunteering at Emerson can help you truly feel it is your community.
People usually find that making connections with others and contributing in some way makes membership more meaningful. The following activities are especially “new member friendly.”
Examples of Volunteer Jobs at Emerson
- Bring food when the Caring Committee provides receptions after memorial services held at Emerson.
- Welcome those entering the Sanctuary on Sundays and assist with visitor name tags. You’ll be part of a team of two or three greeters, and this is an ideal role for new members who recall what it was like to walk in as a newcomer. You can volunteer for a regular once-per-month slot or whatever works for you.
- Come help keep Emerson’s campus beautiful on Spring and Fall Campus Cleanup days.
- Help with seasonal religious education celebrations like our Halloween UNICEF Carnival, Deck the Halls potluck, or Easter Egg Hunt.
- As an Usher, hand out Orders of Service, collect the offering, and assist guests and visitors.
Help in Houston and the world
Many groups at Emerson are helping to build a better world in Houston and beyond. Your help would be welcome at any of the projects described in the Social Action section.
For example, make sack lunches for SEARCH homeless project every second Thursday of the month at 10:30 AM in Westwood Hall–a great way to meet others and serve the larger community.
Our newest program, Emerson Helping Hands, is a great way to help us help each other by facilitating meeting those short term physical needs that occur when a church member has surgery, a new child, experiences a loss, or any of the myriad of other changes and events that happen during our lives. In addition, we encourage you to help out at the organizations that receive Share-the-Plate collections.