We are a Welcoming Congregation, recognized by the Unitarian Universalist Association. This means we affirm and include people who are lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer at every level of congregational life—in worship, in program, and in social occasions—welcoming them as whole people.
As a Welcoming Congregation we have pledged to:
- honor the lives of all people and equally affirm displays of caring and affection without regard for sexual orientation.
- celebrate diversity by using inclusive language and content in worship.
- incorporate an understanding of the experience of lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer persons throughout all of our programs, including religious education.
- affirm and celebrate lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer issues and history.
- affirm marriage equality and conduct same-sex weddings.
- advocate for lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer people, promoting justice, freedom, and equality in the larger society. We speak out when the rights and dignity of lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer people are at stake.
Look under the Connections tab for more information. We look forward to meeting you!
LGBTQ Wedding Day, July 2015
When marriage equality finally came to Texas, we were ready to celebrate!
On Saturday, July 11th, 2015, Emerson threw open our doors for a day of weddings as our gift to thirteen Houston-area LGBTQ couples. Our co-ministers at the time, Becky and the late Mark Edmiston-Lange, officiated an individual ceremony for each couple.
Over one hundred congregants and community members came together to provide each couple with flowers, cake, photos, and music. Such a glorious day–not only the historical occasion, but this life-changing moment for the couples and their families!